Yasin Malik gets life imprisonment

New Delhi. Separatist Yasin Malik, who carried out several terrorist incidents in Jammu and Kashmir, has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a Delhi court. Delhi’s Patiala House Court has sentenced Yasin Malik, leader of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front, to life imprisonment in a terror funding case. The court has sentenced life imprisonment in two cases. Apart from this, punishment has also been imposed in many other cases and a fine of Rs 10 lakh has also been imposed. All his sentences will run concurrently. Malik had already been convicted by a special court of the National Investigation Agency, NIN.

Yasin Malik had several cases registered against him for funding terrorist incidents in Kashmir with the support of Pakistan and providing ammunition and weapons. The security of the Patiala House Court was beefed up ahead of the sentencing on Wednesday. On the other hand, many markets of Srinagar were closed during the day on Wednesday. Heavy security force was deployed at many places. Mobile and internet services were also suspended in Srinagar and adjoining areas for security reasons. There are also reports of stone pelting by Malik supporters at many places.

However, on Wednesday, there was a debate on Malik’s sentence in the Patiala House Court. The NIA demanded his execution, on the other hand Malik’s lawyers wanted life imprisonment for him. Earlier, during the hearing of May 19, Yasin Malik has confessed his crime. It was only after this that NIA Special Judge Praveen Singh, in his judgment convicting Malik, said that the statements and evidences of witnesses have proved the links of almost all the accused to each other and Pakistani funding.

Yasin Malik, who reached the court ahead of the verdict on Wednesday, denied involvement in any terror incident in the last nearly three decades. He said- If I have been involved in any terrorist activity or violence during 28 years and intelligence agencies prove it, then I will also retire from politics. I will accept the hanging. He said- I have worked with seven prime ministers. I will not ask for anything for myself. I leave my fate to be decided by the court.

Ahead of the verdict in a New Delhi court, Yasin’s supporters pelted stones at security forces outside his residence in Srinagar. The security forces fired tear gas shells to disperse them. According to reports, most shops in Maisuma and adjoining areas, including some in Lal Chowk, remained closed. Markets in some areas of the old city also remained closed, although transport remained normal. Security forces were deployed in large numbers in the city to maintain law and order.

Back to top button