The entire world is going through a pandemic named COVID-19 or Coronavirus. According to WHO, “Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus.” Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment. Older people and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop severe illness. Let’s check out a few Coronavirus Facts shared by the World Health Organization.
What is Coronavirus?
It is caused by a member of the coronavirus family that has never been encountered before. Like other coronaviruses, it has transferred to humans from animals. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared it a pandemic.
The mortality rate has ranged from well below 1% in the young to over 3% among those who are elderly or have underlying health conditions. Seasonal flu typically has a mortality rate below 1%
Symptoms of Covid-19
According to the WHO, the most common symptoms of Covid-19 are fever, tiredness and a dry cough. Some patients may also have a runny nose, sore throat, nasal congestion and aches and pains or diarrhoea. About 80% of people who get Covid-19 experience a mild case – nearly as dangerous as a regular cold – and recover without needing any special treatment.
- Coronavirus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates. Cold weather and snow cannot kill the Coronavirus.
- Coronavirus is a respiratory virus which spreads through droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It cannot be transmitted through mosquito bites.
- Hand dryers cannot kill the virus. Wash your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap.
- Ultraviolet lamps should not be used to kill the virus because UV radiation can cause skin irritation.
- Vaccines against pneumonia do not provide protection against COVID19. Also, antibiotics do not work against viruses.
- Garlic has some antimicrobial properties, but no evidence eating garlic has protected people from Coronavirus.
- People of all ages can be affected by this new virus.
- Wear a mask only if you are coughing and sneezing.
- There is NO evidence that companion animals/pets such as dogs or cats can transmit the coronavirus.
Taking a hot bath DOES NOT prevent the coronavirus.
- To date, there is NO specific medicine recommended to prevent or treat the coronavirus.
Social Distancing is the only option to combat Coronavirus.
Here are the global numbers as of 25th March.
Total Cases – 454,398
Total Deaths – 20,550
Total Recovered – 113,045
Click here to get the latest numbers.
Here are the numbers of India as of 25th March.
Total Cases – 612
Total Deaths – 12
Total Recovered – 43
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) and Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome (Mers) are both caused by coronaviruses that came from animals. In 2002, Sars spread virtually unchecked to 37 countries, causing global panic, infecting more than 8,000 people and killing more than 750. Mers appears to be less quickly passed from human to human, but has greater lethality, killing 35% of about 2,500 people who have been infected.
Here are some useful links to get the latest update on Covid-19.
Please stay at home for the next 21 days.