- The name “Korea” comes from Goryeo, that was the name given to the people established by General Wang Geon in AD 918. Goryeo means “high and clear.” Some poetic interpretations of the name peninsula are “Land of High Mountains and Sparkling Streams” and “Land of the Morning Calm.
- Only 3.2% of South Koreans are overweight, which ties the country of Japan for rock bottom share within the world.
- South Korean men love makeup, paying on the brink of US$900 million a year, or 1 / 4 of the world’s men’s cosmetics. Up to twenty of the male Korean population is reported to use makeup frequently.
- South Korea is home to Haesindang Park, that is jam-packed with erectile organ statues, and additionally to a penis-themed restaurant at Deulmusae, that is tough to miss due to the statues of jaji (penises) lining the trail to the building.
- In the Republic of Korea, it’s absolutely legal to drink alcohol publicly. individuals will carry open containers of their favorite street drug and even take a drink or 2.
- When a Korean’s name is written in red, this means that that person is close to dying or is already dead.
- South Korea is legendary for its observation of “crime re-creation.” voters suspected of crimes like rape or murder are led by the police in handcuffs to the scene of crime and said to react the crime. To form the reenactment, even additional demeaning, the media is additionally invited to require photos and publish details concerning the crime.
- South Koreans believe that exploiting an electrical fan at night can kill the person sleeping directly below.
9.South Koreans consider No.4as unlucky, and it’s related to death. This belief appears to possess a return from China.
- More than two billion individuals have viewed the “Gangnam Style” music video of Korean K-pop creator Psy since 2011. It screw-topped the charts in thirty countries around the world. World leaders as well as the U.S.
- South Korea is the largest marketplace for cosmetic surgery per capita within the world. It’s calculated that between 1/5 and 1/3 of the ladies in Seoul have gone below the knife for a minimum of one cosmetic procedure.
- South Koreans relish showing off their relationship statuses publicly. It’s common to envision couples holding hands, kissing, and even sporting matching outfits.
- South Korea has the world’s quickest wireless speeds on the earth, with a mean transfer speed 33.5 megabits per second, nearly 3 times the common speed of second-place urban centers. The country additionally has a mean transfer speed of seventeen megabits per second. 100 p.c of South Koreans have broadband access.
14.In 2012, a jail within the South Korean town of Pohang became home to the world’s 1st robotic prison guards. The country additionally uses robots to protect the zone (DMZ) between North and Republic of Korea and as academics.
- Taxis in the Republic of Korea are color coded in step with the amount of service offered. A grey or white taxi may be a basic automobile with a professional, however doubtless inexperienced driver, whereas the black cabs are luxury cars with fully fledged drivers.
- All South Korean roofs are sinuous at the ends giving the looks of a smile.
- South Korea’s national dish is kimchi, which may be a combination of vegetables and spices that are hard underground for months. it’s served with nearly everything. The primary written description of creating kimchi dates to AD 1250 and there are concerning a hundred and seventy types of the dish.
- Dog may be a dish that’s truly served in Korean restaurants and in street markets. Dog meat has been consumed in the Republic of Korea for hundreds of years, however it has become quite disputed among alternative Asian nations. Bosintang may be an ancient Korean soup created with dog meat, which implies “invigorating soup.” A special breed of dog, the nureongi, is bred for its meat. Pet dogs are sometimes not consumed.
- Playing the net computer game StarCraft may be a legitimate career in the Republic of Korea. Since the sport launched in 1988, nearly half of all the games are sold in the Republic of Korea. It’s one of the most popular games for the private PC in history. There are cable channels devoted only to the sport