The Robin Hood Army is a volunteer based organization that works to get surplus food from restaurants and the community to serve less fortunate people.
Robin Hood Army Established on August 26, 2014 by Neel Ghose, Anand Sinha & Aarushi Batra.
Robin Hood Army believes that the challenge is not a lack of food — it is making food consistently available to everyone who needs it.
- Hunger kills more people each year than AIDS, malaria and terrorism combined.
- Every 10 seconds, a child dies from hunger.
- 82% of hungry people live in countries with food surpluses, not food shortages.
- One in every eight people sleeps hungry each night.
- One-third of the food produced around the world is never consumed.
- 850 million hungry people in the world.
What Does RHA Do ?
For example, restaurants in the Noida, will contribute to the homeless of the locality, through volunteers who live in Noida. “Robins” are largely students and young working professionals – everyone does this in their free time. They serve include homeless families, orphanages, patients from public hospitals, and old age homes.
Approach & Mission
Currently the organisation has tied up with multiple restaurants across the 60 cities that provide them with food. The organisation does not accept monetary donations and only distributes the food or donations in kind that it receives from its restaurant partners and donors.
The Robin Hood Army, wearing green T-shirts,] applies the following principles to further its cause:
• Spread awareness of its activities through social media to promote the idea of self-sustained communities.
• Tie-ups and associations with restaurants to provide food in large Numbers to the homeless/less fortunate communities.
• Introduce new volunteers on a regular basis to the system, to create an impact amongst the less fortunate and in the process inspire a community to give time and help to those who need it most.
The Robin Hood Army believes it is just 1% done in its war against hunger and plans to grow its presence worldwide in the next few years.
Not just India, but RHA serving in 12 counties including Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal & Sri Lanka in the Indian Sub-Continent, Malaysia, Philippines & Indonesia in South-East Asia, Egypt in Africa, Mexico in North America and Melbourne in Australia.
The organisation routinely launches social media campaigns on special occasions or festivals. August 15, 2018, on occasion of 72nd years of Independence of India, the Robin Hood Army launched #MissionMillion2018. Just In a day they served 1.99 million people across 70 cities in India.
In July 2016, the RHA Academy was started with the purpose to be a bridge between the street and sschools.By giving the children the tools and knowledge to go to school. The Robin Hood Academy has empowered 2530+ street children with basic primary education. And more than 564 students enrolled in school.
How You Can Help
All RHA need is 3 hours/week at least twice a month to make a real impact. If RHA have a team in your city looking to grow, a Robin will reach out to you.
If you manage a restaurant or generally want to contribute regular meals from your family, you should connect with the Robin Hood Army.
Creating access to education is the purest form of nation building – do you want to teach the kids in the Robin Hood Academy?