What is a PAN card?
Permanent Account Number or PAN Card is a nationalized identity card that is used for any financial transaction. The Indian Income Tax Department assigns the 10-digit alphanumeric account number to the tax-paying person or company. You can apply for the PAN card either online or offline. Here, we take a look at how you can avail the card using online mode via the Protean eGov Technologies Limited (formerly NSDL) and UTIITSL website.
Benefits and Uses of a PAN Card
- Pan card is required for submitting Income Tax returns.
- It serves as an Identity proof.
- It is required at the time of opening a Bank account.
- For doing any online or cash transactions more than Rs.50,000.
- For selling or purchasing a property.
- Opening a demat account.
- Starting a business
- Applying for DIN
Keep these documents ready before applying
Proof of Address Required to Apply for PAN Card
Photo copy of any one of these documents
- Elector’s photo identity card
- Aadhaar card
- Driving licence
- Property tax assessment order
- Post office passbook
- Letter of allotment issued by the State Government or Central Government
- Domicile certificate
Photo copy of these documents (not over three months)
- Landline bill
- Electricity bill
- Gas connection card
- Water bill
- Depository account statement
- Bank account statement
- Credit card statement
- Certificate of address. This has to be signed by a Member of Legislative Assembly or Member of Parliament or Municipal Councilor or a Gazette officer
- Employer certificate
Proof of Identity Required to Apply for PAN Card
Photo copy of any one document
- Aadhaar card Passport
- Voter Id
- Arm’s licence
- Driving licence
- Ration card
- Pensioner card
- Photo identity card
- Central Government Health Scheme Card
- Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme Card
- Certificate of identity (signed by a Member of Legislative Assembly or Member of Parliament or Municipal Councilor)
- Bank certificate
How to apply for pan card online?
- Go to https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html (copy paste url in browser)
- Click on ‘Apply Online’
- From Application Type – Select New PAN – Indian Citizen (Form 49A)
- Select Category – Select ‘Individual’ if you are not applying for a company Pancard
- Title – Shri if you are male, Smt if you are a married woman and Kumari if you are an unmarried girl.
- Last name- Write your Surname.
- First name- Write your name.
- Middle name- Write if you have any middle name. (e.g. if your name is Ram Prasad Kanojiya then Ram is your first name, Prasad is middle name and Kanojiya is your last name)
- Fill your date of birth.
- Mention your valid email id.
- Fill in your mobile number.
- Fill in Capcha Code (whatever is written in the box – exactly as it is written)
- Click on ‘Submit’ button.
You will see a screen and message. Click on ‘Continue with Pan Application Form’.
- Submit digitally through e-KYC & e-sign will come automatically selected. Don’t change this if you have other documents ready for upload. If not, then select ‘Forward application documents physically’.
- Fill in last four digits of your Aadhaar Number
- Select ‘I agree’ to allow your photo to be used from Aadhaar
- Fill in your Father’s Name
- Fill in your Mother’s Name
- Click on ‘Next’ Button
- Fill in your source of income
- Enter your Residence Address
- Fill in your Office Address
- Enter your phone number and email id
- Click on ‘Next’ Button
- You would need to enter Area code and AO Code.
- In the box below, click on Indian Citizen (if you are one), Select State and City
- Select the AO shown in the box.
- Click on ‘Next’ Button.
- Select your ID proof, Proof of Address, proof of date of birth that you are uploading from the list shown.
- In Declaration, Select Himself/Herself, Enter Place (your city)
- Click ‘Submit’
- If you have not uploaded documents, print the filled in form, attach all the documentary proof and send it through speed post at the given address. DO NOT fold the documents.
How to apply for pan card online – Things to remember while filling the PAN card form
- The form must be filled only in capital letters.
- Mobile number and email id are a must.
- Make sure the form is filled with current and correct details.
- Names must not have salutations such as Mr. / Mrs. / Ms. / Dr.
- Make sure to fill the complete and correct address for the PAN, so that it can be dispatched to the right address.
- Attach the updated documents only.
PAN card to be given instantly
In a bid to back Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s endeavor to promote digitization in India, the Central Board of Direct Taxes is making efforts to issue the Permanent Account Number (PAN) quicker with the help of Aadhaar’s e-KYC facility. This facility helps the user to authenticate details using the biometric identification option.
A report quoting an authority from the PAN department has announced that this step will minimize the number of steps included in the process of getting a PAN card. It will also reduce the time taken from three weeks to a few minutes. However, though the applicant will receive the PAN number instantly, the office will deliver the card after a while.
After this, the Income Tax Department is contemplating the alternative of creating a smartphone app that will help taxpayers to pay their taxes with ease. This app will not only help them keep a track of their investments and returns but will also help them in applying for a PAN card online.
Recently, the government announced that it will issue PAN cards that have been newly designed. These cards will feature added security that will turn them tamper-proof. The content of these cards will be available in English and Hindi.