“Fear not. What is not real, never was and never will be. What is real, always was and cannot be destroyed.” – Lord Krishna
A child, a brother, a charioteer, a warrior, a disciple, a guru, a cowherd, a messenger, the beloved of the gopis. Throughout his life, lord Krishna enacted so many roles—the whole time never forgetting that they were just that, roles, and that his true nature was eternal, ever blissful consciousness.
His life has inspired a treasure house of poetry, music, painting, sculpture and other fine arts. His glory is unsurpassable. His story is a source of joy and inspiration for people from all walks of life.
• The name of Lord Krishna is basically an adjective, which means ‘black’ or ‘dark,’ another popular translation of the name is ‘all attractive.’
• There were 16,108 wives of Lord Krishna, of which only 8 were his princely wives including Rukmini, Satyabhama, Jambavati, Kalindi, Mitravinda, Nagnajiti, Bhadra, and Lakshmana. which were together called the Ashtabharya.
• Krishna appears to be beyond the limitation of nature or that of death or anything related to human life. Mahabharata many times indicated that Lord Krishna is not subject to any limitations.
Credit – Deviant Art
• Kunti, the mother of the Pandavas was actually Vasudev’s sister. Vasudev was Krishna’s father.
• Lord Krishna has total of 108 names. Some of that famous names are Gopal, Govind, Devakinandan, Mohan, Shyam, Ghanshyam, Hari, Baanke bihari, Girdhari etc.
• Despite the popularity of Radha Krishna love tale, there are no traces of the existence of Radha in Shrimad Bhagavatam or Mahabharata or the Harivansham, which is about the life of Lord Krishna. Others argue that her name has been carefully concealed in scriptures like the Rigveda and some of the Puranas.
• Lord Krishna also had 80 sons and was the cousin of Ekalavya too, whose father Devashrava was actually the brother of Vasudeva.
• It is believed that Lord Krishna and Draupadi were brothers and sisters. And that Draupadi was born to assist Lord Krishna to destroy the sinful kings. Draupadi is the incarnation of Goddess Parvati and Krishna is the incarnation of Lord Vishnu, who is the brother of Goddess Parvati.
• In order to pay Gurudakshina to his guru Sage Sandipani, Krishna brought back his son who was dead.
• Sudarshan Chakra is perhaps Shri Krishna’s most favorite weapon. He used it to kill Shishupala and also used it to create the illusion of sunset when he killed Jayadratha.
• Krishna was cursed by Queen Gandhari, which led to his death and the destruction of his dynasty. Gandhari’s curse on Krishna was that he would die with the entirety of his clan in 36 years. Krishna was cursed a second time by the sage Durvasa, when he was asked by him to apply kheer all over his body. Krishna obeyed but did not apply kheer on Durvasa’s feet as they were resting on the ground. Enraged, Durvasa cursed Krishna saying that his death would be by his foot.