Blasts convict sentenced to death

Varanasi, The verdict of the court finally came in the Varanasi bomb blasts that took place sixteen years ago. The District Court of Ghaziabad has sentenced Waliullah to death for the 2006 serial blasts. The court had convicted Waliullah two days ago on June 4. After arguments on the sentence on Monday, the court of District Judge Jitendra Kumar Sinha sentenced him to death around 3.30 pm. The court has said that the convict should be hanged till his death.

It is worth mentioning that 16 years ago in 2006, there were several incidents at Sankat Mochan Mandir, Dashashwamedh Ghat and Cantt railway station one after the other. 18 people died in these blasts. Seven people were killed and 26 were injured in the blast at the Sankat Mochan temple. The court has sentenced Waliullah to 10 years’ imprisonment in the explosive case. Apart from this, he has been sentenced to life imprisonment in the case of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA).

On March 7, 2006, 18 people were killed and 76 were injured in a series of bombings. A month later, on April 5, 2006, the police arrested Waliullah, a resident of Phulpur village in Prayagraj district, in this case. The hearing of this case was transferred from Varanasi to Ghaziabad court on the orders of the High Court. After a lengthy trial and hearing 47 witnesses, on June 4, Ghaziabad District Judge Jitendra Kumar Sinha’s court convicted Waliullah for carrying out bomb blasts at Dashashwamedh Ghat and Sankat Mochan temple, murder, attempt to murder, acting against the law, spreading panic and murder. He was convicted for the use of explosive substances. Whereas in the bomb blast at Cantt railway station, he was acquitted due to lack of evidence.

During the investigation, the names of his associates Mustaqeem, Zakaria and Shamim had also come up in the interrogation of Waliullah. All these people were also residents of Uttar Pradesh. However, even after 16 years of the blasts, these accused have not been caught. It is believed that after tightening the noose of security agencies, these accused fled to Pakistan via Bangladesh and did not return.

Back to top button